Read the assigned reading from the chapter. Then choose ONE of the questions below to answer. Answer the question you chose in a response that is a minimum of 1-2 paragraphs.
Be sure to explain your answers and give reasons for your views. You should cite the textbook and use brief quotations and summaries from the textbook in your response. Do NOT use any other sources besides the textbook.
- Explain Rawls’ “original position” and “veil of ignorance.” What principles of justice does he claim would emerge from such a thought experiment?
- Answer the Philosophy Lab questions on page 380.
- Does alienation as described by Marx exist today in modern capitalist societies? Explain.
- What aspects of Marx’s philosophy do you see in the clip on domestic workers?
- Do you agree with Okin that typical family practices are largely structured by gender? If so, are these practices unjust? Why?